Thursday, October 1, 2009

Welcome to our blog!

We thought it would be a great idea to start a blog with everything going on in our lives right now. This is an easy way for everyone who wants to be updated on in our lives, to make sure you get the correct info! :)


For those of you who don't know, Mike has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. He was diagnosed at the end of August. Life has been a whirlwind since then. I don't even know where to begin. It started with days of leg, arm, and abdomen numbness. Then the days turned into weeks. Mike had me schedule a doctor's appointment, which he doesn't go to the doctor ever, so I knew it was really bothering him. The doctor ordered a brain MRI after hearing his symptoms. Two days later we went for the MRI. And the next morning we were called into our doctor's office for the life-changing results. We were then sent to a neurologist, Dr. Landon. He ordered a few more tests, a spinal tap and a MRI of his back/neck, and more blood work. We went Monday for the results. The MRI did confirm he has MS, he has lesions on his brain, and cervical(neck/shoulder are). No lesions were found on the thoracic (mid-back) MRI, so Dr. Landon said that was good. A blood test Dr. Landon ordered confirmed he had no myelin spilling into his spinal cord, which was also VERY good news. (That would have been a bad prognosis). So now we have tons on material to read about regarding medications, which is going to be a shot, either daily, or possibly every other day, we are not sure yet. We have a follow-up appt with Dr. Landon to start meds in about 2 weeks.


So as I type all of this, it still doesn't feel real. We are just taking each day at a time. Our faith is what is getting us through this, and the support of our family and friends has been unbelievable. Everyone who has been praying for us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. All of the meals, the desserts, the goodies, the cards, the calls, the money, everything has been so overwhelming, it's really what's getting us through. Mike also has 4 days of steroid IV treatments in the hospital. This was done to get rid of this 'flare-up.' Most of his symptoms are gone, he still has fatigue, and hand numbness, but he's feeling much better. The medication he will be started on will reduce the number of flare-ups, and when he does have a flare-up, it will hopefully be milder if he's on medication. So hopefully things are going to be settling down here soon! The main concern now is medication choice, as they all cause side effects.


Please pray for:


Energy for Mike

Numbness to continue to go away

Deciding on the right medication

The Economy (Mike is still laid off!)

Good Insurance Coverage


Hopefully very soon the blog updates will be all about the kids, school/sports activities, holidays, vacations, etc. We will also keep everyone updated on Mike through this blog, it's easier than phone calls to everyone, and facebook updates! :)


Thank you again to everyone, God has blessed us over and over, and has truly blessed us with an awesome family and friends, and co-workers!!!


8 comments:

Jackie Douglas said...

I hope that everything will get better soon. Mike is like a brother to me, you guys are in my prayers and Kim I dont know you that well but if you ever need to talk or vent you can message me or call me just ask me for my number. If you guys need anything at all let me know. I am here!!!!

Jenni said...

Yay I'm glad to see you on here!! :) You'll figure it out as you go! Just wanted to let you know that we are constantly praying and thinking about you guys! :) We love you...and wish we saw you more of course! We'll be thinking of you as you continue on this new journey with your family. Know that we will ALWAYS be here for you guys :) LOVE YOU!

Angela said...

Kim Thank You for posting the info about Mike. I was worried about how he and all of you are doing. I only hear what my dad hears from Aunt Phil ( my dad does not relay msgs well). Our family continues to pray for you all. You have a great famiy, and have conquered so much already I have no doubt with family and friends we will all conquer this as well. Let me know if there is something I can do. Love you all. Hope to see you soon.

Shelly said...

Kim,
I had NO idea you have been dealing with all of this! You will be in my thoughts and prayers in the days ahead. You have such an amazing family and your love and strength will get you thru this. I hope all the treatments go well in the days ahead and will be thinking of you.
Miss you!

Sue Peterson said...

I had no idea...when I read something on facebook about your awesome co-workers so I came here and read this. Please know that I will do anything that I can to help your family. If you need someone to take the kids to anything I'll be your taxi. Or if you want a night to yourself please let me know...if I don't hear from you I will keep checking to see when and if I can do anything to help. Thoughts and prayers from our family to yours!

liv2luvU said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helene Secord said...

Kim and Mike -
What a shocker when I checked out this Blog after seeing it mentioned on Facebook! Good Heavens...... Please KNOW that all of you will be in our thoughts and prayers. Hope Mike will be feeling better with the meds.
Love & Hugs - Aunt Helene & Uncle George

kikstra said...

Hey Kim-
Just wanted to let you know that your cousin over in Zeeland is praying for you guys!
Love ya-
Betsy