Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The medication is here....

Yesterday Mike's new medication arrived. It's called 'copaxone' and he will have one injection everyday. There are 6 sites on his body he have to rotate the injections. The medication cost $2,300/month!!! Good thing we have great insurance, only $20.00/month! What a blessing! Some time within the next few days we will have a nurse come to our home to help get us started. We are already trying to find areas in the house to keep all the supplies in an orgazined area and really out of reach for the kids! This medication should cause little to no side effects. The only side effect it should cause is some pain in the injection sites. Some of the other MS drugs cause flu-like symptoms daily, so we feel good about this medication choice. It also helps that I've given injections everyday for the past 5 years at work, so I kinda know what we're doing here.

Mike is back to working crazy hours. I am so proud to be his wife. This week he is working 67 hours! Which is WAY too much. After next week he requested his hours be cut back at Walmart, and they totally understood. The plan is to keep the 2nd job until after the holidays and to pay a few more things off, and then only ONE job for Mike! He's also been painting on the side.....He could choose to take the easy way out, he could even file for disability if he really wanted, but he is such a hard worker, and always puts his family first! I don't know many people like him!

Please pray for:

We had a talk with the kids about Mike starting the injections. They did great, didn't really have many questions, and wanted to carve pumpkins right away. I think they handled it very well. But, the we haven't started yet, and the nurse will be here, I just really don't want them to worry at all!

Continued energy for Mike.

Two main symptoms still persist: fatigue and hand pain/numbness. This continues to be very frustrating for Mike, and it's hard for me to see him struggle.

With great support from my family and friends, I quickly overcame what most people call my first really 'panic attack' episode, that even landed me in ER. I feel fine now, but I think everything just caught up to me...

And lastly, we have had to rely on our family for daycare everyday over the past few weeks, and the next few weeks. They have been so wonderful! Hopefully in the near future, we will have our awesome Laury back, but until then, we thank my parents, sisters, Mike's parents, and Aunt Mary for always being there to help!

Many songs have helped throughout this journey, my favorite is Mercy Me, bring the rain....

"I can count a million times, people asking me how I, can praise You after all that I've been through...... I draw closer through these times......Bring me anything that brings You glory.....I know they'll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what if take to praise You, Jesus bring the rain..."

1 comment:

Joe Andary said...

Mike and Kim,
Just read your blog for the first time this morning. We had no idea what was going on. I remember reading some comments on facebook a while back about Mike being sick, but had no idea that it was very severe. The comment posted yesterday on facebook pushed me to find your blog. I really got a pit in my stomach when I read what was going on. I'm happy I read it though, so we can join in the prayer support too. I was also happy to hear the kids seem to be handling it well, and am happy to hear Mike is working full time (plus) again. We will be praying for you all on a regular basis, and will check the blog for updates. God bless you all.
Joe and Joni Andary